Friday, November 09, 2012

A quick idea...

Today I tried something different in one of my classes: Truth or Dare. The group that played this is at a beginners-intermediate level, and they really enjoyed it. One person spins a bottle, and the person on the bottom end of the bottle asks "truth or dare?", then the student that the bottle points to answers. Since they have to ask in English, it was a great way to review a lot of different tenses and also learn some new vocabulary. Also, all the dares had to do with speaking English. One was: go outside, look around, and then come inside and describe the setting to us (turns out there was a couple making out close by). Another fun one was to walk up to another student who they didn't know, and start a conversation with him or her. This was at 8PM, the last class of the day, a time when everyone is tired and just thinking of going home afterwards, but with this activity the people in my class actually got interested, and they had a great time. Activities like this are one of my favorite things to do in classes, because I know my students. Most of them are so busy that they can hardly make it to classes and they come with a lot of things on their minds, mostly about work. When I see that they're practicing and having fun at the same time, I feel like they are not only learning, but also letting out all that built up stress. Some people have actually told me that going to English classes has become sort of therapeutic for them. I love being a part of that.

No comments:

Post a Comment