Thursday, November 15, 2012

Music Makes Moments!

Music is medicine for the soul. Every time I think of important moments or people in my life there's a barrage of songs that comes to mind that describe my feelings so much better than words. For that amazing girls' night out, "Unwritten" blares out in my head and brings up the images of the lights, the clothes, the limo... When I hear "Can't Take my Eyes Off You", I inevitably think of the time I got first place in a talent show in high school. "Make You Feel my Love", the best love song ever. And I couldn't possibly not mention, "Love Hurts". Music is our instinct, that's why you will never see a movie or a TV show without music in the background, or at some  points taking a very central role in the scene. Think of the Friends scene where Ross and Rachel broke up, she's sitting there all miserable, it's raining, "With or Without You" playing on the radio. Would those few seconds really have been as epic without the music? I think not. And come on, how many women out there haven't tried to sing like Cinderella or Snow White? Don't deny it! Those songs marked our collective childhood. 

So support the arts! You don't have to be a musician or buy expensive instruments to show your appreciation for music. It's as easy as supporting local acts and venues. Every town has at least one band, and most have a few of different groups, each with different genres and influences. Where I currently find myself, Tepatitlán de Morelos,  there is a healthy number of rock bands, all with totally different styles. There are also a lot of mariachis, bands that play "banda", which is the kind of music most people here like to listen and dance to (banda is mostly brass instrument produced, and originated in Sinaloa, Mexico; the sound is like that of polka). The rock following in Tepa is only recently beginning to grow. There are now a few places around town that have rock nights, and rockers in general are starting to become a little more mainstream. 

Keeping with the bands topic, I really think that growing up to be like Slash is a dream for a lot of kids, and if they have the chance to actually be in a band it can make a huge change in their lives. Not only do they have fun, but it's also a very enriching experience; they learn how to get along with others, work as part of a team, be dependable, responsible, stay out of trouble, be creative... The list of advantages is endless. Music is in our instinct, in our being. Let music soothe you! Let it cure you, and relieve you. Peace!

No comments:

Post a Comment