Thursday, October 18, 2012

Why KikiBeat?


It began when I was a child, and my sister couldn't say my name right, so she would call me Kiki. Then the whole family started calling me that. It's been a long time and now she can perfectly pronounce my complete name (though she never would, because everyone calls me Vicky), but deep inside I'm still that same kid singing Selena y Los Dinos songs into her brush and dancing around the room. Now I can also add to this description that I'm an English teacher in Mexico, a rocker, a college student, and a DIY lover. And yesterday was my twenty-first birthday. The "beat" part relates to my love of music (and The Beatles). Not a second goes by that there isn't a song playing in my head. I also related it to the beatnik lifestyle, which is something any artsy type like me dreams of. Some other random facts about me are that I love Italian food, watching Glee with my sisters, organizing my junk and just hanging out with my boyfriend. 

There are a few reasons that made up my mind about starting a blog:
  • I'm majoring in communication.
  • Graphic Design was my first choice (but now it would be my second).
  • I've loved writing ever since high school (poems, stories, reports, even all assignments any English or Literature teacher threw my way).
  • Someday (hopefully in the near future) I would love to work in a magazine.
  • I like to share my ideas about teaching English as a second language (I don't have a lot of experience, so I would appreciate any feedback).
  • I just felt like it.
And so, I did it. There was only one thing left to decide: Spanish or English? Verán, yo nací en California, pero gran parte de mi niñez transcurrió en Jalisco. Mi familia vivió un tiempo en Georgia (por lo que ahora algunos me llaman Georgia Peach), y hace 5 veranos regresamos a México. I've been back and fourth ever since I was born, so "Spanglish" is the only way I know to live. Sorry for any inconvenience to my readers! That'll be all for this entry, be sure to check back! 

No comments:

Post a Comment